Of all the countries I’ve traversed in Europe, Scotland is the winner to me. No matter where I go, part of me misses it here, and I often wonder if that’s because this is home, or if my aesthetic compass just sets to a nordic and coastal place. Maybe it’s my Maine heritage.
Today I’m breathing in instants of the sea, and soaking up the salty and slightly fishy air that pinches my nose in that cleansing way. Here are my fave ocean moments from our wee journey across Scotland at the beginning of the week.
- On the ferry from Oban to the island of Mull, we passed this iconic lighthouse.
But what I love more than that are the mountains dipping straight into the sea behind it, doing the dramatic for attention.
- Every lake was composed, and each one had its own conductor keeping it pianissimo.
I don't know if these lakes are fresh or salt water, but I'm still going to count them as the sea-ish.
- The colors rubbed on by the sea are by turn subtle and soothing, sharp and vibrant.
- The light, photographers will tell you, lands differently in Scotland. The low sky keeps the world below it glowing.
And on the water, it is even better.
- The fishing villages hunker between the hills and the sea; they sound like gulls and smell like seaweed and feel like an old book of fairy tales.
We traveled out to the northern tip of Mull, to the town of Tobermory, in which we ate fish 'n chips and picked up bars of heather soap to sniff.
- We wore gray, coarse sweaters, and were grateful for itchy wool.
- That light and those calm lakes made for some killer reflections.
- Scotland's fishermen use bright buoy balls (instead of bottle-shaped buoys like you'll see in America).
- Please can I have the wood from these weathered boats for a tiny boathouse?
- There is something just nice about seeing beautiful things with family.
and being in the car together was fun; Walker snapped photos like the wind in the front and I fell asleep in the back.
Being by new faces of the sea for a weekend, my needle pointed due north and I felt calm inside.
The spring is whipping the sea air around in fresh twists today here and I'm sending some your way! Happy Saturday!